Current:Home > MarketsIndexbit-Colleges in Springfield, Ohio, move to online instruction after threats targeting Haitians -Prime Capital Blueprint
Indexbit-Colleges in Springfield, Ohio, move to online instruction after threats targeting Haitians
Burley Garcia View
Date:2025-04-06 20:36:34
COLUMBUS,Indexbit Ohio — University and college campuses in Springfield, Ohio, canceled activities and moved to remote instruction on Sunday after receiving threats of violence tied to false claims about the city's Haitian immigrants.
Wittenberg University canceled all sporting events and other activities on Sunday and said classes will be remote on Monday. Clark State College also canceled activities, closed all its campuses, and will conduct instruction virtually for the week.
The two schools are the latest victims after a series of threats against government offices, schools, hospitals, and other facilities. The city of Springfield was thrust into the national spotlight after former President Donald Trump and his running mate, Sen. JD Vance, began sharing misinformation about immigrants in the city stealing and eating pets.
"University administrators recognize that the city of Springfield has experienced an increase of threats to local government, businesses, and schools in the past week," Wittenberg officials posted to the school's website Sunday. "We take this threat seriously and will provide updates to the campus as we learn more about the situation."
Three elementary schools were evacuated, and a middle school and the City Hall were closed over the last week after receiving threatening calls and bomb threats. Bomb threats also forced two area hospitals into lockdown on Saturday.
State and local officials have repeatedly denounced the false reports, including Ohio Gov. Mike DeWine who on Sunday called the claims "a piece of garbage." Haitian immigrants have expressed fear and said they no longer feel safe in the community due to the threats.
‘They’re eating the dogs’:Trump echoes false anti-immigrant rumor during debate
Springfield campuses face shooting, bomb threats
Officials said Wittenberg University received a threat Saturday by email of a shooting planned for campus, which prompted the cancellation of events.
At 1 p.m. Sunday, another emailed threat warned of a bomb in a red Honda Civic, according to officials. Police removed a car matching the description from Bill Edwards Drive, which bisects the Wittenberg campus, but said nothing suspicious was found.
Wittenberg police are working with Springfield police and the FBI to investigate the threats and said they were increasing campus patrols Sunday.
The university urged students, faculty, and staff to "exercise extreme precaution," be alert to their surroundings, and report suspicious activity to Wittenberg police.
"As the University continues to assess these threats in partnership with the Springfield Police Department (SPD) and FBI, all Wittenberg classes will be remote tomorrow, Monday, Sept. 16," Wittenberg officials said in an update Sunday evening. "Faculty and staff are also expected to work remotely, except for essential employees. All events, athletics, and activities will again be canceled tomorrow."
Clark State College announced Sunday it will move from in-person classes to online virtual classes for Monday through Friday at all of its campuses, including the Springfield location. Citing "recent events in Springfield," Clark State said it was "taking proactive measures to ensure the well-being of all students, faculty and staff."
In a news release, the college said it received an email threat late Saturday via the admissions link on its website which raised concerns about a possible shooting. On Sunday, the college received an emailed bomb threat to the Springfield campus.
Clark State said it took immediate action in contacting Springfield police to ensure the campus was secure and safe. But, "out of an abundance of caution," the college said it is closing all campuses through the week and that employees should work from home. All activities were also canceled.
"We understand the anxiety that such incidents can cause and we are treating this matter with the utmost seriousness and care," the college said on its website. "As a proactive measure, Springfield police will also increase their security presence on campus, and we are working with our wellness team and partners to provide additional counseling services."
Threats to Springfield institutions exploded after presidential debate
At Tuesday's presidential debate against Vice President Kamala Harris, Trump again touted false claims that Haitian immigrants in Springfield are eating cats and dogs. Trump also claimed that about 20,000 Haitians in the city are there illegally, even though a majority came to the United States under the federal government's Temporary Protected Status program — fleeing gangs and economic insecurity in their home country.
On Sunday, Vance acknowledged during an interview on CNN that he has been spreading rumors. “If I have to create stories so that the American media actually pays attention to the suffering of the American people then that's what I'm going to do,” he said.
DeWine, who pledged at least $2.5 million in state funding last week to help Springfield officials with health care access and road safety, called the threats to public safety of about 15,000 Haitians state officials say are in the city "a very sad thing."
Springfield City Manager Bryan Heck, who said the city has found no credible reports of pets being harmed, injured or abused by members of the Haitian immigrant community, called the spreading of misinformation "disappointing."
The parents of an 11-year-old boy who was killed in a traffic crash last year caused by a Haitian immigrant said last week that an "incessant group of hate-spewing people" was using their son's death for political gain. Haitian immigrants, many of whom were invited to Springfield by employers unable to fill jobs, have said they are experiencing increased threats and harassment.
Contributing: Thao Nguyen, USA TODAY
veryGood! (82255)
Related
- Meet first time Grammy nominee Charley Crockett
- Shooting in Philadelphia wounds 7 people, police say
- Horoscopes Today, June 18, 2024
- Michigan man wins largest prize ever on lottery website, $7.19M, by taking dad's advice
- Rylee Arnold Shares a Long
- Aaron Judge, Yankees avoid catastrophic injury after slugger hit in hand by pitch
- Pacers, Pascal Siakam to agree to 4-year max contract, per report
- Horoscopes Today, June 18, 2024
- San Francisco names street for Associated Press photographer who captured the iconic Iwo Jima photo
- Florida plastic surgeon charged in wife's death after procedure at his office
Ranking
- Mets have visions of grandeur, and a dynasty, with Juan Soto as major catalyst
- With pardons in Maryland, 2.5 million Americans will have marijuana convictions cleared or forgiven
- North Carolina House budget gets initial OK as Senate unveils stripped-down plan
- Prince William Attends Royal Ascot With Kate Middleton's Parents Amid Her Cancer Treatments
- Trump suggestion that Egypt, Jordan absorb Palestinians from Gaza draws rejections, confusion
- NFL offseason grades: Bears earn top team mark as Cowboys trail rest of class
- Rickwood Field, a time capsule of opportunity and oppression, welcomes MLB for Negro Leagues tribute
- Alaska did not provide accessible voting for those with disabilities, US Justice Department alleges
Recommendation
Pregnant Kylie Kelce Shares Hilarious Question Her Daughter Asked Jason Kelce Amid Rising Fame
18 million Americans are house poor, new study shows
Shonda Rhimes on first Black Barbie, star of Netflix documentary: 'She was amazing'
Nurses in Oregon take to the picket lines to demand better staffing, higher pay
Bodycam footage shows high
How many points did Caitlin Clark score tonight? Top pick has double-double in Fever win
New Netflix House locations in Texas, Pennsylvania will give fans 'immersive experiences'
How many points did Caitlin Clark score tonight? Top pick has double-double in Fever win